- Use recreation as an early arrival activity on the front lawn or as near the entrance as possible. Kids won’t want to miss the fun and will encourage their parents to get them to VBS early.
- Serve snacks in a central location before or after the official starting or ending times of the evening. Invite the entire family to join in – even the parents who are dropping off or picking up their kids.
- Schedule a longer opening session that includes the Bible story. Use the Bible study rotation for life-application activities. Connect every rotation activity – crafts, music, missions, and recreation – to the Bible story and central theme of the evening.
- Invite parents to join their kids for the opening session and then stay for a VBS class of their own.
- Use the final night as VBS Family Celebration by inviting parents to join their kids, using the final episode of the Worship Rally drama, and using the Day 5 Bible story. Choose one or two of the Grades 3-4 learning activities that can be tweaked and used with kids and parents.
- Hold VBS classes Sunday through Thursday then use Friday evening for a VBS Family Celebration.
VBS Family Night
We have been having a colossally (is that a word?) fun experience at the 2013 Previews in North Carolina, Texas, and Tennessee. This week LifeWay’s VBS Event team is taking Colossal Coaster World on the road to Kissimmee, Florida for the grand finale! There is still time to join us. Click here for more info!
During Preview Family Night breakout sessions the idea has surfaced that it might be time to change the name Family Night to something that speaks more to today’s purpose for the event – which is connecting unchurched families to the Gospel and to the church.
We would love to hear your ideas for a new name as well as the stories of what you do during your Family Night event to insure unchurched families are connected to the Gospel and to the church.
You can reply to this post or send your suggestions to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.