Hey guys! Check out these innovative JOTM decorations from our friend Kathy Kim and her remarkable team! Kathy is VBS leader in Hanmom church, located in the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC. All the decorations are made of crumpled, colored paper!! Way to go Kathy—thanks for the inspiration!!
The best VBS leaders are learners, and the best learners enjoy sharing with others what they have learned through trial and error. Following are words of advice that have been collected through the years from great leader-learners just like you.
- Enlist a decorating team to be responsible for the worship center, main entrance, and halls.
- Apply the 4 R’s of Decorating – Recycle, Recut, Reshape, and Repurpose from previous years.
- Host a decorating party the Saturday before VBS. Provide supplies, fun snacks, and the freedom for older kids and teenagers to be as creative as possible.
- Conduct Youth VBS earlier in the year and have them make decorations as their crafts project.
- Create backdrops of sky, mountains, and trees on canvass or heavy fabric that can be reused year after year.
- If decorating is not your thing – stay out of it and turn it over to people who enjoy it.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION: What advice do you have concerning VBS decorations?