Check for the following:
- Fence is in good repair
- Gates are secure and lockable and have a safety latch
- Sight lines are unhampered
- Playground equipment is at lest six feet away from fences and building
- Playground equipment is anchored and stable
- Sharp edges are covered
- Bolts and screws are secure
- Playground is free of poisonous plants, litter, insect nests, and hives
- Play toys are clean and in good condition
- Area is free of electric hazards
- Moving parts are free of defects
- Electrical outlets have safety covers
- The ground if free of holes, roots, and other obstacles
Now is also a good time to check for changes and updates to local and state playground regulations and standards.
This is also a good checklist to use when evaluating potential Backyard Kids Club sites.
Ok, now that the area is safe and sound, let your inner child go wild. Go ahead. It will do you good! And if anyone ask, just say you are making sure everything is safe for the kids.