While this type of enlistment will result in a few volunteers, it is often the volunteers who say, “I’m happy to help but I can’t teach and don’t want to be in a classroom with kids.”
So now you have a dilemma. You just made an “all-hands-0n-deck” plea, but you don’t know what to do with people who made the above statement.
Before you ask for volunteers, make a list of all the possible ways someone could make a director’s life easier both before and during the week of VBS. Keep the list with you at all time and be ready (AND WILLING) to delegate a project the moment someone even hints at volunteering.
A few of the things on my personal list would be:
- Decorating the common areas such as foyer, halls, and registration area
- Making copies both before and during the week of VBS
- Being available to make the daily last minute run to the store
- Picking up trash and helping the facilities crew prepare rooms for the next day
- Resetting the auditorium after worship rally
- Parking lot security
Let me know what jobs you would add to the list.